Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Visual Literacy

In art class, we were recently finishing up a project called the Book folding project. The book folding project was about waving a formatted print out of a word and folding the pages to make that word. The way to do that is that your paper with the word will have black and gray lines, then you'd need to fold your page to a certain point a certain way. A well known Book Artist, Isaac G. Salazar, really enhanced this skill and really became one of the best to do it. He also really loves trees which explains his passion for Book Folding. Isaac Salazar is always with the idea of recycling and saving trees and he enjoys  book folding because he gets a part in recycling and reusing magazines, books, etc. Visual Literacy, the key to this entire project, is the ability to interpret, negotiate, and define the meaning of the use of this image or word that was chosen.

My Book Folding project is a word, one of my favorite words, Wave. The reason why I chose this word is because I really enjoy going to the beach if it's just doing stuff like Fishing, Diving, Swimming, or even Body Boarding. My word, font, and my book relate because first of all, my word, "Wave", is just like the font," Lobster ", because at the beginning of almost all my four letters, there is a curve in the letter that looks like a wave forming, also my book has an ocean cover and my guess is that it's about the ocean mostly.My inspiration to get into book folding was because of my 7th Pd. teacher, Mrs.Sanderl . She is a very good art teacher and when she showed us some of her examples and taught us how to fold the pages, I was blown away! Although I folded about 200 pages, I forgot to count so my rough guess is about 200 to 250 pages.

When I finished my word, I thought it turned out pretty well because I wouldn't want doubt in my mind because I finished it the day before it was due and I was kind of in a rush but it paid of pretty well. If I had more time, I would've counted my pages and made the folds more neat and used time more wisely. If I would do this project again, I'd choose to make the word " Hunt " with a book about the forest or a Cabelas catalog because I really like to hunt and I think that since I shared one of my two favorite things, that I should choose a topic about the other one.



No comments:

Post a Comment