Thursday, March 12, 2015

Typography Portraits



Typography is the art and technique of arranging type to make written language readable and beautiful. The arrangement of type involves selecting typefaces, point size, line length, line-spacing, letter-spacing, and adjusting the space within letters pairs which is called kerning. With images such as portraits, we can make them bring out the best of the picture and the person. For example to make a portrait appear with Photoshop in Text, would cause it to really isolate its layers and really make it stand out.

I think my biggest challenge in making my pictures were selecting the shadows and correctly posterizing it, although I knew the steps already, it got a bit confusing toward the end, but the innovator was the easiest and most simple out of them all. When it got confusing, I did what your'e supposed to do, I just look back at the tutorial and worked with what I learned from Mr. Sanderls' tutorials.

My first image, the innovator of Ben Franklin was just a simple introduction to Typography and honestly, anyone can get this done in one class. Next, we have my image of Ms. Bandsma which is probably my least favorite because I Really rushed and had no clue on what to do so I barely got instructions and I made a ton of mistakes but I somehow managed to pull it off. Now we've got my favorite out of my three typography images which is the one of myself. Although it's a longer proccess, it's all worth it, and if you do it well enough and correctly, it's an easy A. This was actually faster than my second image and I was surprised with how much I got done, but it's still a work in progress and a lot more has to be done and I'm far from finished.
Innovator
Teacher
Me

24 comments:

  1. Awesome! I think next time you could make the words other than "Hawaii" larger and more visible. Overall, it's really great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your colors but, it looks like you didn't change your brush size as your were going. Overall great finish quality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really cool!
    Although we can see your highlights, maybe make the color of your words in the highlights spot a more lighter color.
    Great position of words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah! Nice job on your photo! I really love the way you placed your text on your face! Although you maybe could of not put words in your highlighted area. But other than that, this is a great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Russell! I like how you can clearly see all the words. Maybe next time you could stick to a color scheme, but I still really love all the rainbow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome work Russell! I really like your color scheme. Although, it is a bit hard to see your eyes. But overall, amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Job Russel! I like how much this looks like you and the rasta colors!
    There could be more highlights for vibrance and detail but overall I love your final product!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how well the colors pop out, you could've made your eyes a bit more clear, but I like how the words really stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your text is very easy to read. Next time I think that you could have matched your colors a little better. You have a great balance between your shadows and highlights.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you have an awesome color scheme! I think one thing that could be improved is the amount of highlights you have. You did a really nice job making sure your face and text was visible. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks just like you! I think next time you could put in a light color because everything's really dark but it's really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. great job Russel, your colors look great, i can tel you worked hard to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your colors and it really looks like you, though maybe you could've used some more words... but you did an overall nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your finished image definitely looks like you. Some of the words are hard to read, but your color scheme blends well together. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing job Russel. I really like your words arrangements because it's very clear and spaced out evenly. I would pick a different color for your pink because it's extremely hard to see. It sorta makes it look messy. However, I like how your words pop out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hawaiian! hahaha i like the photo and the colors in it. I would change the darkness in your pictures. Overall great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice color in your hair. Maybe next time you cold make the eyes more detailed. Great color overlay.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Some many colors, I love it.
    You may want to make it so I can see the other words clearly.
    Overall I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like you have a lot of highlights in your image.
    Maybe next time you could make it so you can see more of your words, but I think think overall it's a really good typography portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like your color scheme in the shadows layer.
    I think you could've turned up the brightness so that there where more highlights.
    I also like how you made the word "Hawaiian" stand out from the rest of the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice color choices (RAINBOW POWER ALL THE WAY)! There could be more highlights, but overall, the picture is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love how your colors pop out I love that, maybe next time you make the other colors more clear as well, but over all this is really good great job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome job Russell! I really like your choice or words!
    Maybe next time you could make other words as big as Hawaiian.
    Over-all great work! I really like the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good job, you can really tell that it's an image of you. If you were to do this again you could try changing your brush size more . Also your color scheme is really nice.

    ReplyDelete